Sunday, November 7, 2010

Captain Jack

The Friday before Halloween Keith volunteered/was forced to come with me to work, dressed in his pirate costume. One of the other staff members was kind enough to take my kids at recess while I hid the clues for our treasure hunt. I went out and got my kindergartners, pretending to go about our day as normal. Keith and I had it all arranged and he "ran" into us in the hallway.

He asked the first child in line if he was "brave enough to follow orders and stay true in the face of danger and almost certain death?" (Line from Pirates of the Caribbean)

Slightly terrified, he looked at me and then back at Keith and slowly shook his head no. Ya..... wasn't expecting that one. Finally I said I was brave enough and one of the girls, while pushing me towards Keith, said "She's brave enough, TAKE HER!! TAKE HER!!" Didn't even think twice about sacrificing me!! Awesome.



Finally Keith asked if they could help him look for his lost treasure. He passed out eye patches (that the school conveniently already had) and read us his first clue.

We went in and out of the school a few times
Looking for clues

Jack reading a clue
When they went looking for their last clue, I made up an excuse to run an errand. I literally ran in and got the treasure chest, ran outside and hid it, and then ran back in, just as they had found the last clue. We then turned the clues over and put them together and it made a treasure map on the back.
It led us all over the back playground and through the school, then back to the front play ground. **Side Note: I originally got the idea to do a treasure hunt from the kids. They are always digging in the wood chips and finding "treasure." I thought it would be fun to actually find treasure in there one time.

They found the treasure!
(Keith helped me make this treasure chest-he was seriously awesome during this whole thing!)

In the treasure box was ring pops, gummy pirate teeth, and pretzels. <---to get something in their systems other than sugar The two blonde boys on the end aren't actually in my group, they were just hanging around and wanted to join us.
One of the kids ask to hug Jack Sparrow and so a few of them did. One kid went up, acting like he was going to hug him and then tried to grab his treasure chest. Little Rascal!!
Keith was even kind enough to come back for story time.

We all had a blast and the kids still talk about Captain Jack. What a trooper of a husband I have!

3 comments:

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

You are the most awesome teacher ever, and what a great hubby you have to help you out! Those kids are going to remember their treasure hunt forever, I bet! Way to go, guys :)

Natalynn and Paul said...

Haha! I was laughing so hard at the part where the kids got scared and told Captain Jack to take you!! I even grabbed Paul and read it to him. You are seriously the best teacher.

Speaking of great activity ideas, I have an activity coming up on Wednesday that I need ideas for...

Tiffany Giraud said...

Chelsie this is the best! Gavin and I laughed so hard reading this. Way to be the brave one. This sounded like so much fun--you are so awesome!!!