Wednesday, February 20, 2008

So Sick, So Bored

Blah! I was so sick yesterday and although I felt better today than yesterday, I'm still not feeling great. Keith didn't feel well Monday night but was fine yesterday, tonight right before he went to bed he said he stomach was gurgling. When I called the principal of the prep school to tell her I wouldn't be in today, she said that a lot of people have the same thing. She said something must be going around, but I blame everything on the water. I didn't do well with the tap water when we first got here, but they say it takes a week or two to adapt. 6 weeks later, I've given up and I haul water jugs down to campus (where the water is triple filtered), fill them up, and haul them home. That seemed to take care of my problems until yesterday. I don't know if we ate something, if it's the water, or if something is really just going around. Whatever it is, I'm ready to be done with it! We don't have much food, but yesterday I didn't dare get any further than about 20 feet from the bathroom. One of the grocery stores here is supposed to have free delivery, but every time I ask, they tell me they can't. I called today and they said no deliver today, call back tomorrow. Due to our lack of food and after sitting in the apartment all day yesterday and half of today, I decided I had better get out before I drove myself crazy. Luckily I was able to catch a transport soon after leaving my apartment. There's not much food that sounds good when you're sick, but rolls or tortillas were sounding good, plus making them would give me something to do! We had about 1/2 cup flour left so I was planning on getting soup, flour, and some bottled water since I didn't feel like packing gallons of water home from campus. I get to the grocery store and what do you know.....they are out of flour! Last week they were out of eggs, this week, it's flour! The other grocery store may have had some, but the tiny little ants that crawl all over the shelves there have really discourage me from buying anything but canned goods and charcoal. So I bought some cheap crackers, some expensive soup (canned goods on average are about 2x as much as back home) and headed home. Keith studied late, so by the time he got home I was about ready to go crazy! If I had been at home (in the states) with this much time on my hands, I could have easily filled it with about anything. Scrapbooking, studying, organizing things, about anything. Being home all day alone here is a completely different story! With no car to even go anywhere, it's been a long day. I guess to look on the positive side, I don't have classes that I've had to worry about missing, I don't have to call in sick to work, I just call to let the places I volunteer at know that I won't be there and everything is taken care of. Oddly enough, long days like this make me miss school so much! I really was missing my job in the Infant Room today as well. Homesickness is always magnified by physical sickness. I saw a commercial for Wal-Mart on TV and (this totally weirds me out) I actually missed the place! Some days it feels like we'll be here forever!

0 comments: