Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July--Island Style

Although Keith was taking a test on the 4th and I was working all day, we still had the opportunity to celebrate our country's independence. I have always been proud to be an American, but this year things just really hit home. I have never been as grateful for my country before as I have been the past 6 months. We really missed our families, but we had a great time with our friends down here. Everyone contributed and we were able to come together and have an AWESOME BBQ! We had everything: hot dogs & hamburgers, baked beans, pasta salad, red and blue star shaped jello jigglers, fresh fruit, star shaped sugar cookies with red, white, and blue sprinkles, cupcakes, the whole 9 yards. It was quite the feast and everything from the cookies to the hotdog buns were homemade (We have made friends with some excellent cooks!) . Keith brought his baby (his football) and some of the guys threw it around while the grill was warming up. It was a great day and for not being in the states, it actually felt a lot like the 4th of July. The whole evening I felt so much gratitude for both our friends on the island and my country. The song "God Bless America" ran through my head multiple times. We are so blessed!


Keith getting the grill going. (We bought this grill from a student and haven't regretted it for a second)Everyone enjoying the food!


Feeling very full and very happy!
After the BBQ, we joined some of our friends for night swimming. It ended up raining at least 1/2 the time we were there, but we still had a lot of fun!

2 comments:

Christy said...

I am glad you had a good 4th. I am sure it felt weird not being in America. We had a BBQ too but were slackers with everything else...fireworks and all!

Unknown said...

We missed you too! Remember when we were young and we'd watch the fireworks at the church by grandma and grandpa Mennear's house? It was so exciting and I looked forward to it because my "chums" were always there and we always ate dinner!
I'll remember that as my own children grow to make it as memorable as mine!
Love ya!