Friday, June 18, 2010

The Eternal Student

My name is Keith. I am sure you have all heard my name mentioned on this blog before, since my wife, Chelsie is the author of said blog. This time, I figured I would grace the world with all my blogging skills.


I am the eternal student, as the title of this fine work implies. If you are vaguely aware of my educational predicament, you know that I am half-way through medical school and I may be starting over. I figured I would enlighten all those who may be curious as to what we are going do about that.

It all started many moons ago when I took the comp for the third time. On January 23, 2010, I received my Comp scores from Ross University. The Comp is a comprehensive test written by the NBME that Ross administers to all students after completion of the basic science years. Ross requires students to pass this test with a score of 64, which is equivalent to a passing score in the USMLE. I had taken the comp twice before and not passed. The first time I got a 60 and the second time I got a 63. I was a little devastated to know that I had not passed by only one point. My weakness in medicine is definitely test taking. I feel I know the material, but somehow, I can’t get that to reflect on my exams. I decided to take a live USMLE review course to make sure I would pass the Comp on the third attempt. In October I flew to Champagne, Illinois to attend the PASS course. (I highly recommend it for anyone who may be thinking about taking a live review course) I also completed the entire USMLE world question bank. I felt prepared. The test came and I felt really good about it. I was almost sure I passed. However, I received another score of 63.

Since I failed to pass the Comp for the third time, I was automatically dismissed from Ross University.

That now leaves me in the situation to find another institution who who would like to grant me the degree of Doctor of Medicine. My options at this point were limited to two: transfer to another Caribbean medical school, or try to apply to schools back here in the states. I decided to try to apply to osteopathic school here in the states.

The Comp was in January and I and decided to apply to US schools shortly after. There was one problem with this whole plan of mine: schools required MCAT (the test you take to apply to Med School) scores that are three years or newer. I took the MCAT in April of 2006, so I had to take it again. I found out that the last MCAT date that would be accepted for the 2010 application cycle was only one week away. So, I crammed for one week and went and took the MCAT. Since I was so late in registering for it, we had to drive to Helena Montana for me to take the thing. It took six weeks to get my scores back and I did better than I did the first time. (I would hope so, with two years of medical school under my belt even though it has been four years since I studied physics or chemistry)

I applied to the DO schools that still had open application dates, but since I was so late in the application cycle, I only got one interview. It was at William Carey University in Mississippi. Chelsie and I flew down and went to the interview, but I was not accepted for this school year.

Besides the one interview, I received a letter from Touro University in Vallejo, CA, just North of Oakland. The letter said that I had qualified for an interview, but since my application was so late, there wasn't room for me. It then went on to give me an invitation to apply to the accelerated Masters of Public Health Program. The Accelerated program is by invitation only and for those that are accepted and maintain a 3.0 GPA for the first two semesters of the program are guaranteed an interview to the DO program starting fall of 2011. They also say that most people who go this route get into the DO program. It's not guaranteed, but highly likely. I received this letter before my interview in Mississippi and figured that I would apply to see what happens.

I got an invitation for an interview for the MPH program and Chelsie and I went down last week to the interview. We drove down on Monday, went to Six Flags on Tuesday, and I had the interview on Wednesday. We then went to Muir woods that afternoon and to "Wicked" that evening. It was really good. I guess Chelsie will have to post about our adventures later.

Anyway, sorry to get side-tracked. Back to my story. I was accepted to the accelerated MPH program at Touro and have accepted and sent in my seat deposit. I start classes Aug 24. I have also already sent out primary applications to a bunch of DO schools for the Fall 2011 entering class, and I am already work on some secondary applications. I figure that since I am not going to be doing a DO program this fall, I might as well be going to school for something. An MPH will be a big advantage for me. It will make it more likely to get into a DO school next year and, when I am all finished, it will make me more competitive for residencies, and later, for jobs. I am excited about this program. I will learn a lot and I think it will be a great benefit to me and make me that much of a better doctor in the end.

Now, some people think that I am a bit crazy to not just transfer to another Caribbean school and get into clinical rotations and finish with an MD degree. Simply put, I don't want to do that while I still have other options. If I do this program and still don't get into any DO programs, then I will transfer to another Caribbean school, but I will do that as a last resort. I want to do a DO program and I am going to try everything I can to do it.

Now, the question may be, "Why didn't I just do that in the beginning instead of spending two years at Ross?" The answer is simply because that is where the Lord wanted us to go. Never will Chelsie or I question our decision to go to Dominica. It was an experience we would not trade for anything. We learned so much and grew so much that it was worth every bit of time and money to do it. We met some incredible people and made friends that will bless our lives forever. Some of you are reading this, and I just want to say that we love you and are grateful for your friendship. Going to Dominica was what the Lord wanted us to do at that time. The Lord wanted me to start school at Ross, but I am obviously not supposed to finish at Ross.

We have prayed hard enough and have enough faith that I know it is the Lord's will that we are doing what the Lord wants us to do right now. I trust that He has a plan for us and, even though we may not understand or agree with every step of that plan, I know that it is for the best.

My favorite scripture since I was in high school is Provers 3:5-6. "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths."

I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel, but I know that if I stick my foot out in the dark, the Lord will light the way just enough so that I don't stumble and he will hold my hand as I walk. I feel the Lord is guiding us in our lives right now even though he hasn't shown us our final destination.


10 comments:

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

What an inspiring post! We are so grateful to have met you guys in Dominica. Good luck on the next big adventure, and please be sure to keep us all updated along the way :)

Becky said...

Beautiful post Keith! Thanks so much for sharing. As you know communication is not a strong point in our family so we don't get to hear about things a lot of times. I have a better understanding of your trial, and admire your faith and strength. You two are truly an example to us. We will continue to pray for you. And CONGRATULATIONS!

Krista said...

I had no idea your guys' life was so... adventurous!
The last part even made me a little emotional. Well said, Keith!
P.S. I'm stalking your blog, just in case you didn't figure that out.

The Fredericks said...

what a neat post- we have been thinking of you guys and I'm so happy that you have a plan~ AND that you went to Wicked- best play ever- congrats on the moving forward of your life and I'm sorry that it isn't exactly what you were hoping for.

bryce and paige said...

thank you so much for sharing. you are going to make it! so grateful to see your optimism and faith. it is a great example for all of us to follow; we sure love you guys.

The Howard Family said...

Good luck Keith we are really excited for both of you :)!!!!

Christy said...

wow! You guys have really been through a lot. I am sure it was a great disappointment when you found out you were only a point away from passing. Sorry to hear that but it sounds like you are doing well and realize that the Lord's hand is in everything and there is another adventure waiting for you guys! Good luck with everything and thank you for you strength.

Bryce said...

Now I'll have a friend to visit when I go home since all my childhood friends have moved away from the area. Good deal Keith. You'll rock it out.

Valeni said...

Just read your story while looking at anonymous blogs from Cort and Kimi's site. I'm Cort's aunt and I want you to know I was inspired by your post and your obvious dedication to study and learning and following the spirit in your life. You will be successful as you have a plan and work your plan. Good luck!

Tiffany and Gavin said...

I'm playing catch-up on your blog and finally read this post. Thanks so much for sharing this Keith. You are such a good example of faith and trusting in the Lord.