Our first semester in Dominica (which was the beginning of 2008) it became apparent that we would put snorkel gear to good use if we owned some. Keith got on-line and got us a pretty good deal on a set of gear off of e-bay. It was coming from China, so we knew it would take a while, but after about 3 months, we gave up on it. We figured it was lost or we had been scammed.
Well, last week, Keith got an e-mail saying that he had "registered mail." Not knowing exactly what "registered mail" might be, I went to pick it up. The customs officer plopped a box down on the counter and asked, "What's in the package?" "I have no idea!" (which was completely honest--we weren't expecting anything) "Miss, WHAT is in your package?" he asked me a little more forcefully. I had to explain, quite thoroughly that I had NO idea what was in my package. The only thing we have ordered and not received is our snorkel gear, but that was over a year ago!
Well, the customs officer opened the package and guess what?
15 months after we ordered it, our snorkel gear showed up! I couldn't believe it! I am really curious as to where it might have been the past year or so, but we have it now....... finally!!!
Weird though, huh?

7 comments:
haha!! oh my gosh! That's funny. I am glad you finally got your snokel gear...now you can enjoy!
Well, now you'll need to go snorkeling everyday for the next three months to get good use out of it before you leave! Or sell it to the incoming! That is so totally crazy!
ok... I'll confess...
Oh that is a classic Dominica story!! I guess at least it got there?! Hope you guys are doing well and adjusting to having to move back to the island after selling everything.
Those customs people are crazy. I'm glad you got your snorkel gear, even if it is a few months overdue.
Chelsie- I have actually looked at your blog from the Roy's:), so your comment doesn't freak me out in the least! I love meeting new people through blogging! Thanks for your offering to help- it seems to be the theme down there. Everyone is so nice and willing to help- love it! Jaqcuelle and Paige have answered a lot of my questions already. I did laugh about your snorkel story though- that's great! If you do end up selling it, I may be interested in buying it... if it's something we'll need down there?
Chels, Ha Ha that is so funny! good story!
Post a Comment