I had a really cute conversation with one of the first grade girls today. We were preparing to go on our field trip and I was holding the door as the kids came in and out from the drinking fountain, filling up their water bottles. When there was a break in traffic, a girl who had been standing and waiting for such a moment, came up to me, checked to make sure no one was within ear shot, and with a very serious face, discretely shared the following with me:
(FYI--this child loves the TV series Charmed, which I'm sure gave a great basis for this conversation)
"Ms. Chelsie? I want to tell you something."
"Sure, what it is?"
"I think I found out a power I have."
"Wow, what exactly do you mean?"
"Well, you know how some people have special powers? I think I am one of those people. I think...... I think I can talk to God."
"That's really cool. I think you can too!"
"Really?! But Ms. Chelsie, I think I can talk to him and He listens to me! I have been trying to talk to Him this week and every time I ask for something, it happens!"
"I believe it! I absolutely believe that you can talk to God and that he listens to you."
"Ya, since He does, I'll have to make sure to only ask for good things, because I don't want to use my powers to be mean."
"Good idea."
I wish this conversation hadn't happened at school so that I could have talked to the child more about my extreme belief that she can talk to God, (and that He listens) but it was really cute that she saw it as a super-power. It was a good reminder of what a special gift prayer really is!

4 comments:
That is so cool. I bet that little girl will never forget that conversation with you.
I think that is totally priceless! What a wonderful thing. Thanks for sharing it.
How cute is that? I love it when kids say stuff like that! What a neat experience for both you and the little girl.
wow! What a cool experience that must have been, What a sweet little girl! Thanks for sharing that.
Post a Comment