Saturday, October 2, 2010

Point Reyes

Confession: Not a lot of heart went into the 2 posts previous to this. For your reading pleasure, I beefed them up just a little. Not much, but a little.

NEXT!!

On Labor Day we went to Point Reyes National Seashore. After we stopped at one of the visitor centers, we drove over to the Point Reyes Lighthouse, which is a historic lighthouse. "The light was equipped with a first-order Fresnel lens, and lit on December 1, 1870" (click HERE for more info and better pictures of the lighthouse, including inside of it and at night)


The stairs leading down to the lighthouse go on for what feels like forever. There's a warning sign at the top of the stairs because there are so many. One sign said it was the equivalent of climbing to the top of a 30 story building. Ya, I'm out of shape and it was a little intense!


From there we went to Sea Lion overlook. The overlook is about 500 ft. up but you can see the Sea Lions down on the rocks, sun bathing. You can easily hear them, which is kind of cool.
Next was Drakes Beach. You can walk quite a ways down the beach, it's really pretty.


10 points to the person who can give me any type of clue as to what this is. They were washed up on the beach, some big, some small, all weird.
Exploring the beach


The last stop on our adventure was at an Oyster Farm. Yes, it is as exciting as it sounds. I really am not a fan of fresh oysters. They just don't do much for me. I ate one and it wasn't too bad, so I had another. I ended up spitting it out and let Keith finish the rest. (of the oysters, not of what I spit out) I am always willing to try one, and then I usually end up wondering why I do.

Keith with some of the many piles of Oyster shells

Anyway, come and visit us so we can take you to Point Reyes, it was beautiful and we'd love to buy some oysters for you!!

8 comments:

Natalynn and Paul said...

First of all I LOVE your shirt. Where did you get it? I want one too.

Second, I am cracking up at you eating the oysters. Or I guess spitting out the oyster! Hahaha

The Fredericks said...

what a FUN FUN time- and soo pretty!

katie said...

Looks like fun times! So those weird things are air-filled bladders on kelp that keep the kelp up high in the water so they can get sunlight also known as Pneumatocysts. That's right we're geeks around here.

Chelsie said...

Natalynn - the shirt came from Kohls. Please get one, I would love to be twinners with you!!

Katie- You are the lucky winner of 10 worthless points!! Congrats! haha Thanks for the info though, I was really curious.

Michigan Roys said...

I'm just glad you are enjoying where you are and what you are doing. That is so important, no matter what! Keep enjoying and keep sharing!

Tiffany and Gavin said...

That's it, I'm coming back to CA. As soon as I can talk Gavin into it we're coming back.:) Your pictures are beautiful--Point Reyes looks like a good trip to take.

Krista said...

That weird looking thing is some kind of seaweed that breaks off the bottom of the ocean - I think. They wash up on the beach all the time in AK. They look like some kind of creepy sea creature but I'm pretty sure it's just ocean plants.

Krista said...

P.S. SOOOO jealous of where you live right now!