I've had the opportunity to substitute in the elementary prep school that is actually on campus the past 3 days. What an experience. Although I was only in the 1st-3rd grade classroom, it didn't take long to realize how much I have forgotten from elementary. I thought of the game show "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?" As of now...I'm questioning it! Questions such as: "Miss Chelsie, is China the only place with Pandas? Can you tell me all of the places in the world that have Pandas?" Sure....let me get right on that. (is 'Asia' good enough?) "Miss Chelsie, what is a homophone? What's an antonym?" Luckily I have been helping teach English class and we went over homophones, antonyms, and synonyms a couple of weeks ago or I'm not sure I could have answered those correctly either! A boy in the 4th grade asked me last week about John Deere. He was doing a report on him and asked me about the first steel plow that John Deere made......."John Deere started out with a steel plow? What?" I'm flattered that these kids have so much confidence in me, but I'm starting to feel like the next time I return to their class it should be as a student, not a teacher. Kids are so inquisitive and I love their thirst for knowledge, even if they stump me with their questions or catch me by surprise sometimes. They were able to keep me on my toes and even though I was so exhausted I went to bed at 9:00 last night, I had a good time with them. At the end of school today, I found I was sad to not be returning on Monday to teach. Hopefully I'll have other opportunities!
Fashion Show
6 days ago

1 comments:
Post a Comment