Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hooray!

Which one of these is not like the other? Here's a picture from English class. This is part of the group, in all there are about 15. Dennis and Stephen are pointing to Agenor, which is what I see a lot in class. Agenor is always talking and distracting people and even when something isn't his fault, he still gets pointed at. These are the poor guys who had to witness my first teaching experience, what champs!

Today I was able to get some more babysitting jobs! One job is just for a day, the other is 2 times every week! It won't be a ton of income, but we're grateful for what we can get! Plus, what a job huh? Watching cute little kids! I taught in English class for the first time last week and it went pretty well. No one said a thing for the first little while and it made me rather nervous. Finally when I asked if I scared them, everyone opened up and started giving me feedback and things. By the end of class, it was back to normal with everyone talking and laughing. What a comical group! I ended early (on accident) and after everyone had shared their sentences for the week (they had homework assigned to them to write a complete sentence in English) I got up and shared some sentences. The French speaking people did their sentences in English, so I did mine in French. I had Keith help me put some sentences together and then memorized them before I went to class. Everyone was pretty surprised and I think they got a kick of out it. (Either that or they were laughing at my horrible accent) For the last couple of minutes of class everyone just told jokes. It was pretty entertaining. I am really enjoying being able to help with the class and on Tuesday, we are teaching them the song "Take Me Out to the Ball Game." It should be pretty fun. When we told them that we were going to teach them an American song, they wanted to learn the National Anthem. Yah right! I can't even sing it, like I could teach it! I'm excited though.

0 comments: