Friday, June 13, 2008

"White American Delight"

The local men have a real passion for women (of all sorts). It is very very common to get "complimented" or hit on, by the local men as you walk by them. They say things from "Hello Beautiful" to offers for marriage. (I haven't personally experienced a marriage offer, but have heard of it happening to multiple women down here.) When Whitney was here we walked to the gym and as we approached a construction sight, under her breath (in anticipation) Whitney said "Hello Beautiful," and like clockwork, not even 5 seconds later we heard "Hello Beautiful" being shouted to us. We both busted up laughing. I thought that I had heard it all (or heard stories at least). I was proven wrong today and I now feel confident I have heard it all. Today as I was walking home from campus, a local guy who had just bathed in the river, wearing nothing but basketball shorts that were BARELY hanging on his skinny body, was leaning against a tree by the sidewalk. He had maybe 1/2 his teeth, a wrap on his head, and as I approached, he started swaying/drunken dancing and singing, "White, American Delight! It would be nice if you were my lover! White, American Delight!" He repeated it until I had passed, and I'm sure waited for the next "White, American Delight" to pass. What a character......or rather, what a drunk!

1 comments:

Christy said...

OMGosh! How funny! I hate when guys say weird things like that! I am glad you could escape!