Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Worthy of a Post

I know that Whitney left a week ago and I'm sorry for the back-posts, but it's better than nothing....right? The weekend before Whit left, we joined a group from the Ross Spouse Organization (RSO) on a hike to Sari Sari Falls (pronounced sorry sorry) and Aba Wavine Cyrique (pronounced....well, nobody I have talked to knows, including some of the locals). It was physically one of the most challenging things I have done while on Dominica but we had a lot of fun and we were able to see some really cool things.


We started the hike to Sari Sari Falls and it was pretty hard-core jungle, but beautiful.....
.....we ran into one of these..... (as Whit said "A real live Boa in the real live jungle!")
.....hiked a tough trail, sometimes using all fours, and finally got to this......
....which was beautiful! There were vines hanging down everywhere and we were surrounded by green!
We then drove to our next destination: Aba WAvine Cyrique. We scaled down the side of a crazy steep mountain using only a rope and tree roots. It's probably the craziest thing Whitney and I have ever done (I've done the hike once before) but it's really amazing. To get to the part of the mountain you scale down, you have to go up and down an insane amount of stairs. Whitney and I counted on the way back and it was 701 stairs! Our legs were shaking pretty hard by the end of the day! We didn't take pictures on the way down the mountain side, as it was very similar to rock climbing and our hands were not available for picture taking. When we got to the bottom this is what we saw...
....then walked along the beach to see this......
...took some time to enjoy it...
...and on the way home, the group stopped for a cold pop and Whitney sat and made friends with one of the local girls who was sitting out on a chair, swinging her feet, and eating her cookies.

Yes, it was a great adventure, and yes, we were WAY sore the next day. It was my favorite day with Whit here though and I just thought it was worthy of a post!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Wow and I thought I was sore after my 6.2 miles run, that adventure would have killed me for sure! That's a ton of stairs! At least you had an amazing reward after all the hiking... seeing all the beautfiul things in your pictures!

Chelsie said...

Christy, there is NO way I could run 6.2 miles without stopping! We took plenty of rests during the stair climb, you probably could have ran up all of them! :)