Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Different Kind of Fruit Snacks

When we first got to the island it was citrus season and I was a little disappointed in the lack of fresh tropical fruit. There were juicing oranges (which make excellent juice, but they are too tough to eat) lemons, limes (great for cooking, not so much for snacking) and a few other things. Now, however, we're starting to get some great fruit and different things to snack on. The grapefruit here is AMAZING! I really really didn't like grapefruit back in the states but here, I love it! They let it ripen on the trees and the grapefruit is huge, juicy, sweet, and delicious! I was trying to pick up a grapefruit with one hand (palm it) and it was so big and heavy I couldn't really do it. We are also starting to see more mango's, "apples", bananas (of all sorts) and some other fun things. Here's some more fruit that we like to snack on:

Here we've got one of the smallest grapefruit's I've purchased on the island so far, some small mango's, and a small banana. I'm not sure what kind of bananas they are, but the are really short and sweet.
Here are some "apples", papaya, and sugar cane. I'm not sure what the "apples" actually are, but that's what the Dominican's call them. They are almost like a crabapple but not bitter and really juicy. The papaya got thrown away, we did not enjoy it at all. The sugar cane is a nice snack as well. You bite it and suck all of the juice out, it's "quite nice" as the natives would say.

0 comments: