Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sunny Days!

Yesterday and today were nice and sunny! Most of you are probably wondering, "If you live in the Caribbean, isn't it nice and sunny everyday?" To answer such a question: No. Almost all of last week it was pouring! Rain in Dominica is unlike any other rain I have ever seen! When it's about to pour (and I mean 'pour' in the most literal sense possible) you will feel a couple of drops, hear the rain falling, and about 3-4 seconds later it dumps. It's nice that you can hear it coming most of the time, because the few drops you feel give you warning to have your umbrella handy, and the sound of the rain coming gives you just enough warning to get your umbrella up. A few drops of rain doesn't always mean it's going to poor however, it's just a warning that it might. Needless to say, life changes a little when it rains so much. The water coming from the tap leaves quite a bit to be desired, you don't go nearly as many places (very few students have cars, so most of us walk everywhere), and although the rain cools things off a little bit, it also causes the air to be very muggy and humid. After a week or so of rain, we gladly welcomed the sunshine! The past 2 days have seemed dryer to me as well, which has been awesome, it's helped me to feel a little bit more at home!

I bought a new water bottle last week and was very excited to use it. When I went to wash it, I decided that I had better wait for a while because this is the water that came out of the tap! Yee-Haw!



1 comments:

Christy said...

ewww!! that water is nasty...sorry!It sure makes me appreaciate the water here in Idaho!